We're celebrating Supermoms at Watson Chiropractic! All this month we're celebrating the silent superheroes out there: MOMS. And what better way to fuel your supermom powers than with these tasty and secretly-good-for-you SUPERHERO MUFFINS?
A mash-up of carrot cake, zucchini bread, and oatmeal cookies, these muffins might just end up being your kryptonite - there's no way you can resist eating the entire batch at once. And while we grown-ups having been scarfing down the muffins as written below, we've also listed some suggestions for add-ins and substitutions to satisfy even the pickiest of little sidekicks. Have a smaller league of superheroes at home? No problem - these freeze and reheat well!
(P.S. - These muffins are gluten- and dairy-free!)
Adapted from Run Fast, Eat Slow
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (use gluten-free if sensitive)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 eggs, beaten (or vegan egg equivalent)
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 cup grated carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Arrange a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: almond meal, oats, walnuts, currants or raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: eggs, zucchini, carrot, pumpkin, agave syrup, and vanilla.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
Because these muffins are so moist, we found that they tended to stick to paper cups. For best results, spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray and spoon the batter directly into the muffin cups, filling each to the brim*. Bake until the muffins are nicely browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 to 35 minutes.
*Note: This recipe yields a dense yet moist muffin. They won't rise as much as traditional muffin mixes will!
- Sub mini chocolate chips instead of currents! Enjoy Life brand makes dairy-free chocolate chips that are also free of most major allergens.
- Mix in some shredded coconut
- Instead of walnuts and raisins, use pecans and dried apple pieces
- Add 1 Tablespoon chia seeds and 1 Tablespoon of ground flax to the wet mixture for extra protein, fiber, and omegas.
Did you try this out? Let us know in the comments below!